Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In which God tells me "If you want to relax, drink!"

By Trish Ryan

Today starts week 2 of Project Learn to Relax, and I'm happy to report that so far, so good! I'm far more dialed down & mellow than I was six days ago, thus confirming my long-held suspicion that chick-flicks are one of God's many secret ways of communicating with us!

In the midst of all this don't worry/be happiness, I'll admit that one of the biggest challenges to my flowy new way of life has been the situations where I feel like I SHOULD do something...but I can't figure out what to do.  You know, the problems that aren't within my control, the ones that depend on God to work in other people or circumstances for things to change.  I hate those problems! I'm a good action-taker (hence the total cluelessness about what relaxes me), but not such a good wait-to-see-what-happens-er.

Yesterday, I read this passage in the Bible that helped:

"Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God." - Hebrews 6:7


I like this image.  Because as I think about it, it's clear that when it rains, the little particles of dirt aren't holding a contest to see which one can soak in the most; there's no John Belushi-like character down there chanting "Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!"  The Kingdom of God is not a keg party.  (THERE'S a bumper sticker!) The dirt was created to soak up the rain that falls, so it does...then it produces a crop from whatever seeds are planted there.  The dirt does not get emotionally involved or obsess over the process.

As I prayed about this, I sensed God challenging me to accept these seasons when my life is in a rain delay, so to speak, to relax.  To resist the lie that worrying will accomplish anything, and sit back and absorb the gifts He's sending: Peace. Joy. Reassurance. Hope.  The stuff I need.

Essentially, God told me, Be the dirt!

So those are my marching orders for the week.  I will attempt to be dirt-like: calm, happy in sunshine and in rain, absorbing the good stuff and trusting God to put in some nice mulch to protect me from bad seeds.

Here's to a good crop :)

2 comments:

Julia Maranan said...

When I first read your title, I immediately thought you were urging us to partake in an alcoholic beverage to loosen us up a bit. What that says about me, I don't know, but I like the idea of being dirt-like and drinking in the rain. Although I suppose an occasional glass of wine could help us remain non-emotionally invested or obsessive. ;)

Changing Seasons said...

Love this blog.
I am going to try to become one with the dirt, and God.
Relax and enjoy!
Xoxo